Inn at Bath
Housed in a beautiful old Greek Revival home in the historic district…and originally built in the 1840s…The Inn at Bath provides comfortable accommodations for discerning guests and is surrounded by gorgeous perennial gardens with a partial view of the water.
The Inn has 7 well appointed guest rooms, all with en-suite baths, some with private exterior entrances. The custom kitchen is open and airy with stone counters, two ovens and JennAir and Bluestar appliances. There is large, sunny dining room and 2 parlors for guests’ use. There are 5 wood burning fireplaces and two Jacuzzi tubs in the inn, and 1 gas fireplace. Additionally…just off the kitchen…there is a two room owner/innkeeper’s quarters with two baths and separate entrance.
In the past, this inn had operated as an 8 room inn for guests, and could even be configured to 9 guest rooms with private baths (see layout attached). Just a short stroll down Washington Street…this lovely inn is within an easy walking distance to Bath’s downtown shops, restaurants, galleries and museums. This is a turnkey business, just awaiting its new owner!
Known as the “City of Ships” for its storied history of all the sailing vessels that were built in the Bath shipyards…and currently home to the Bath Iron Works and the popular Heritage Days Festival…this beautiful midcoast destination has a vibrant downtown historic district that is well known for its 19th century architecture, shops and art galleries. The city of Bath includes several nature preserves that are protected by the Kennebec Estuary Land Trust, and its proximity to Boothbay Harbor, Brunswick, Portland and the stunning Maine coastline…make it a location that has long been popular with tourists.
Offered at $975,000
At a Glance
Google Photo Album
Download a Property Offering
- 969 Washington Street, Bath, 04530 ME
- Built in 1840, added on in 1879, the early 1900s, and 1995
- Map 26, Lot 199
- Book 2020R, Page 7417, Sagadahoc County Register of Deeds
- Zoning: R1
- Real Estate Taxes (2022-23) $11,844
- .32 acres
- 5205 total finished s.f.
- 7 Guest rooms with an additional 2 bedroom unit as owner’s quarters (two rooms have exterior entrances, perfect for pet friendly options)
- Gorgeous open kitchen with a Bluestar gas range, hood and additional separate oven. A very welcoming way to interact with guests!
- Beautiful spacious flagstone patio for guests with firepit and seating area
- Stone foundation
- Clapboard siding
- Composite shingle roof
- Public water and sewer
- Electric, natural gas and oil heat
- Wet sprinkler system
- Storage in basement and attic (ample)
- 5 wood burning fireplaces
- 1 gas fireplace
- Baseboard heat, radiator, steam (two systems/zoned)
- Parking for 8 cars
- Gravel parking lot
- 1 car garage currently used for storage
- Basement: Bulkhead, dirt floor, slab, unfinished, walkout (very spacious and could be finished for staff housing or owner’s quarters, it has a full bath)
- Open Year Round
Bath is centrally located in Maine’s southern/midcoast region…and a perfect destination to use as home base while exploring the area.
The inn is located:
- 40 minutes from Portland
- 15 minutes from Bowdoin College in downtown Brunswick
- 2.75 hours from Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park
- 45 minutes from Boothbay Harbor
- 1 hour from Camden
- 2.5 hours from Boston
- 35 minutes from Reed State Park, Georgetown
Bath is also home or nearby some popular area microbreweries (between Bath and Freeport):
Bath Brewing, Bath Aleworks, Trinken Brewing, Flight Deck Brewing, Black Pug Brewing, Maine Beer Company, Mast Landing Brewing, Stars and Stripes Brewing and more!
The Owner's Quarters
Currently, the OQ Is a 2 bedroom connecting suite off the kitchen, and with separate entrance. The natural light is lovely and the view is a bonus! The owner also has a private office/den off the main foyer. Additional photos are available. The basement is a very large unfinished space with interior and exterior entrance which could be finished (with plenty of ceiling height) and already has a full bath (or ideal for staff). Options are great!
There are options to occupy 1 or 2 rooms, allowing for a 7, 8 or 9 room inn configuration…all with private baths.
This is a wonderful lifestyle and well priced opportunity for someone looking for a home based business in a year round community not far from Portland.
Financials shared with qualified buyer and signed NDA