The Maine Inn Team Proudly Presents
Built in 1874 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the inn is named after its first owner, Captain Albert V. Nickels, who resided here with his wife Elizabeth and their eight children.
The inn offers an elegant and exceptional retreat with 180-degree views of Penobscot Bay in the charming town of Searsport, just a few nautical miles between Camden and Bar Harbor. The inn has the distinction of being part of the East Main Street Historic District, a collection of five properties with Italianate architectural influences, all built by ship captains over a span of 15 years beginning in 1860.
The inn underwent an extensive restoration in 2019 and continued through 2023, from floors to walls to bathrooms, decks, mechanical systems and furnishings. The landscaping and lawn also underwent extensive renovation.
Captain Nickels Inn is the perfect historic backdrop, whether you celebrate at their ocean’s edge, in the gardens, or in an intimate space in the inn. The Elopement Packages are the answer to a stress-free and intimate celebration. But the beautiful, newly renovated grand ballroom is perfect for larger events.
Offered at $3,295,000
Captain Nickels Inn welcomes guests year round. The ballroom was renovated with weddings and special events in mind.
In 2023, the seller has chosen to hold only small elopements. In previous years there were a few larger weddings accompanied by a sizeable venue fee in keeping with that business model. With some targeted marketing, particularly in the wedding magazines, a new owner could choose to focus on weekend weddings and weekday tourism in high season. There is also a movement toward smaller or more affordable Sunday/Monday weddings that a new owner could opt for, providing for a Friday/Saturday wedding and Sunday/Monday wedding. The inn could host off season and winter wonderland weddings utilizing the beautiful ballroom space.
Captain Nickels Inn has very favorable average daily rates and occupancy rates. They have grown their ADR substantially during the renovation and have now positioned the inn for a new owner to take the business in this stunning Grande Dame to the next level!
The Property at a Glance
General Property Data
- Built in 1874; Victorian/Italianate with beautiful panel molding, new and original historic features throughout
- Total square footage: 10,000+
- Lot size: 6.01 acres, well landscaped, mature trees, perennials, most of it open and level
- Waterfront – approximately 275 feet of frontage
- Book 4375 page 113 and Book 4552 Page 250, Waldo County Registry of Deeds
- Map 1 Lots 1 and 1B
- Zoning: Residential 4
- 2022-23 real estate taxes: $16,835.39 (both lots)
- 10 guest rooms/suites, all with private baths (9 en-suite )
- Spacious guest porch in front and very large deck facing the ocean, all surrounded by mature landscaping and perennial gardens
- 1 propane fireplace, 1 propane stove, and 6 electric fireplaces
- Inn’s kitchen has granite counters, electric Whirlpool range, Bosch dishwasher, Whirlpool refrigerator
- Catering kitchen adjacent to the inn’s kitchen has a Sunfire gas range, Hobart dishwashing system, Blueair ice machine, Samsung and Arctic Air refrigerators
- Tavern: Beer Cooler, Draft Cooler, 7. beer taps
- Utilities: propane, oil, public water & sewer (2 oil tanks, 1 propane)
- AC- heat pumps (15) and window A/C units (6 in various areas)
- Heat: hot water baseboard, radiator, steam, and heat pumps
- Clapboard siding
- Roof: slate, asphalt shingle and rubber
- Onsite gravel parking lot for ~15 cars
- Basement: unfinished , concrete floor, and a large laundry facility (6 sets each of washers and dryers!) extra refrigeration (2 fridge, 1 freezer), plenty of storage; bulkhead and interior access
- Carriage House. basement is under the tavern and is a very large workshop with storage
EXTENSIVE LIST OF IMPROVEMENTS IS AVAILABLE
Maine’s mid-coast evokes an explorer spirit with dramatic coastlines soothed by the Atlantic Ocean. Majestic schooners and lighthouses beckon adventure. Coastal islands and peninsulas like fingers reach out begging to be explored. Located on the granite shores of Searsport, Captain Nickels Inn welcomes guests in seaside elegance. Sprawling six-acres leads to a private waterfront with 180-degree views of Penobscot Bay.
Stroll down to the bay and relax in Adirondack chairs for panoramic views. Go treasure hunting for sea glass down on the rocky shore. Request a boxed lunch or charcuterie and enjoy picnic style perched on the cliff at sunset. Play horseshoes, croquet, or Bocce ball with the Atlantic as your backdrop.
Guests are invited to bring canoes and kayaks to take advantage of their beach access. Getting out on the water provides a whole new perspective of the area. Guests can book one of their sailing packages to experience Maine the way it’s supposed to be experienced – from the sea! Cruise Penobscot Bay with a bottle of wine aboard the Cutter Owl or Schooner Olad.
The Guest Rooms and Baths
There are ten spacious guest rooms (3 are suites) with private baths, 9 of which are en-suite. And stunning bathroom renovations they are! The decor is a lovely mix of period touches, modern comfort with luxury bathrooms. Two of the suites have private decks with fire pits and a beautiful ocean view, and a view of the lush grounds and manicured gardens. The Captain’s Suite is a very large suite with private access to the cupola! When the seller purchased, there were 8 guest rooms. Now there are 4 king and 6 queen rooms.
Private Behind The Scenes Spaces
The private space here at Captain Nickels is comprised of the inn’s kitchen and a large office off the kitchen with a private entrance off the parking lot.
On the third floor is a beautifully appointed owner’s suite, with heat pump AC, large bedroom/living room, walk-in closet, newly renovated bathroom with vanity, beautiful decorative tile and glass shower and a fantastic decorative floor.
The suite features a row of windows overlooking the gardens as well as looking toward the water. There’s also a small office/multipurpose space just outside the quarters. Click on the images to enlarge
The Inn's Kitchen and Commercial Catering Kitchen
Large events? No problem! There is more than enough space for catering events in house, or bringing in a catering company (they’ll be thrilled with this space!)
- The inn’s kitchen has granite counters, electric Whirlpool range, Bosch dishwasher, Whirlpool refrigerator
- The catering kitchen adjacent to the inn’s kitchen has a Sunfire gas range, Hobart dishwashing system, Blueair ice machine, Samsung and Arctic Air refrigerators
There’s no shortage of things to do and places to explore from Captain Nickels’ central location and traveling in any direction is easy.
The property is located on coastal US Route 1, offering ideal roadside visibility, just a minute from the newly revived downtown Searsport, and Belfast’s historic downtown and picturesque harbor are just a few minutes away. Acadia National Park is an easy day trip at just about an hour away.
Distance in Miles:
Augusta – 50
Bangor – 35
Bar Harbor – 60
Boston – 205
Camden – 20
Freeport – 95
Kittery – 165
Kennebunkport – 105
Portland – 100
Quebec/Montreal – 300
This fine offering is a financially viable, year round business
Financials provided with signed NDA to qualified buyers only