The Oxford House Inn and Restaurant
The Oxford House Inn & Restaurant sits on a well maintained and landscaped 1.22 acres. While the front of the inn features an entrance alive with a flowering vine, welcoming you onto a beautiful porch where you can watch people go by or enjoy a wonderful meal coming from the restaurant at the inn. The lower level features a pub that oozes ambience with its granite walls and cozy banquette tables (two left photos below). The upstairs restaurant (photo below, right) offers a more formal setting with a fireplace, leaded glass and beautiful original woodwork.
Wander out back and you will be greeted by an amazing view of the White Mountains, seeing Mt. Washington off in the distance. Enjoy morning coffee, a walk down the path, the fresh air.
Fryeburg, Maine is a small western Maine town, tucked beside the Saco River and home to Fryeburg Academy, one of the oldest private boarding and day schools in America, and the famous Fryeburg Fair which has become the most popular autumn agricultural fair in the state!
The town is inviting with shops, restaurants, and a warm community. It is ideally located one hour from Portland, three hours from Boston, and two hours from Manchester, New Hampshire’s International airport. Fryeburg is a year-round destination for summer travelers to enjoy the lakes with hiking and kayaking, fall travelers enjoying country drives and hikes, viewing foliage. Winter brings skiing, snowmobiling, and enjoying the outdoors.
While some call spring in Maine “mud season,” others embrace the warming air, birds migrating, and sweet smells of everything coming back to life.
If you aren’t one to step in as chef/owner, there is a well qualified staff. manager and sous chef working with the chef that could step into the lead chef position for new owners. The current owners have built a very strong business they’ve owned and operated since 2007 as a full service inn open year round and offer a wonderful opportunity for new owners to step in and continue the tradition. Current owners started a family a couple years back so they chose to operate the restaurant 5 days a week. New owners could open that back up to 7 days as there is the demand for it.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a thriving business in the western lakes and mountains region of Maine!
At a Glance
- Built in 1913, Arts & Crafts style
- 1.22 acres on the Main Street in Fryeburg
- Map 41, Lot 17
- 4 guest rooms, all with private ensuite baths, located on 2nd floor
- Owners’ quarters on 3rd floor with bath and laundry, could be converted to guest room for additional income
- Situated with beautiful view of the Western Lakes and Mountains Region
- Beautiful original woodwork throughout the entry, the dining area, and the staircase
- Lead glass built-ins in the dining area with cozy fireplace
- 60 seat restaurant and pub with cozy bar surrounded by granite walls (45 in the restaurant, 16 in the pub)
- Heating is a combination of hot water radiator, propane stove and electric baseboard
- Beautiful mature trees on property, lovingly maintained by arborist
- Book 538 Page 373 Oxford County Registry of Deeds
- Clapboard siding exterior
- Metal roof
- Water heater – off heating system
- Public water/private septic
- Onsite parking
- Detached garage currently use
- Heating fuel – propane and oil (electric for 3rd floor unit baseboards)
- A/C – heat pumps
- Detached garage currently used for storage
The Portland International Jetport is about 1 1/2 hours away, providing easy access to the beautiful Western Maine Lakes & Mountains region.
Fryeburg is centrally located to so many desirable locations within Maine and New Hampshire. North Conway is 15 minutes away, offering great skiing at Cranmore and fun shopping and dining.
The beauty of Mt. Washington is just one hour away. This is a great opportunity to own a successful inn and restaurant in western Maine.
And with Northeast Snowmobile and ATV Rentals right next door, guests can explore the area by snowmobile and never get in their car!