The Limerock Inn
Offered at $1,895,000
At a Glance
Google Photo Album
Download a Property Offering
- Built in 1893
- .73 acre lot
- Map 21 Lot 7
- 5,200 square feet (finished)
- large, full unfinished basement and large attic
- 8 guest rooms with en-suite baths
- 2 parlors, dining room and guest pantry
- 2021 real estate taxes: $19,224
- New Viesmann propane boiler in 2017
- Tankless on demand propane water heater
- slate and copper roof restoration
- onsite paved parking lot
- clapboard exterior
- new gutters and soffits
- separate owner’s cottage with open concept living room, kitchen and loft, and one bedroom and bath
- the inn was the first bed and breakfast business in 1994 and has been going strong ever since
- zoning – residential A
- public water & sewer
- beautifully landscaped, level lawn, ideal for tented events and weddings
There is a separate, private owner’s cottage on the property with There is one bedroom and one bath, and an open concept kitchen, spacious living room with gas fireplace and loft. French doors open up to a private deck in the back.
- 1.5 hours from Portland
- 2 hours from Kennebunkport
- 15 minutes from Camden
- 2 hours from Bar Harbor
- 1 hour from Boothbay Harbor
- 5o minutes from Augusta
A Bit of History
LimeRock Inn was built in 1892 by architect/builder E.E. Lewis of Gardiner, Maine for Congressman Charles E. Littlefield.
Charles Littlefield was a Maine State representative from 1885-1887, Speaker of the House in 1887, Maine Attorney General from 1889-1893 and a US Representative from 1899 to 1908.
According to the 1892 tax assessments, the house was valued at $4,500 and the 3/4 acre lot at $400. The large mirror in the foyer is original to the house and was a gift from Charles Littlefield to his wife. The house was originally built without the turret, which was added at a later date. In addition, there was an octagonal shaped barn attached to the rear of the house at the Island Cottage room which was originally the “ell” to the house. For those not from New England, the “ell” is the part of the house that connects the main house to the barn. In and around Rockland, LimeRock Inn is still known as Dr. Lawry’s house. In 1950, Dr. Oren Lawry Jr. purchased the house.. For almost 50 years, he operated his medical practice out of the house and also served as the physician for the former Maine State Prison in Thomaston. Today’s Parlor served as a waiting room; the foyer was the reception area; and the Grand Manan room served as Dr. Lawry’s examination room.
Dr. Lawry sold the home in 1994 to a New Hampshire couple that vacationed in Rockland every summer and wanted to save the house from what they believed was an uncertain future of demolition or worse, conversion to apartments. It was in that year that Rockland’s first bed & breakfast, The LimeRock Inn, was established.
This is a financially viable business. Financial data shared with qualified buyer and signed NDA.